25 Art Walls to Check Out in San Diego

For my master's thesis, I was looking at the geographies of street art/murals in Brooklyn and somehow I found myself obsessed with it.  Tracking it down, taking it all in, and (of course) taking a photo for the gram.  It was just amazing to see huge pieces in places you would not expect.  I feel that this type of art is not of lesser value but more of one that commands attention than maybe some pieces in a gallery.  Their vibrancy, and pure scale really creates a presence in a neighborhood.

During my time in California, I was able to find a few pieces along the way and yes I was extremely excited.  It basically became a game for me as I rode around on one of those Bird Scooters.  While it's nice to walk a city, I appreciated that I could cover more ground and in less time.  San Diego has been hosting both the Bird Scooters, and the Lime Scooters so I deferred from Uber/Lyft for the day.  My original intent was just to find one piece that looked like a San Diego postcard.  I had seen it on Instagram, and I found the exact location via the CANVS app (which is free and I highly recommend if you like tracking these pieces too).

1.

"Greetings from San Diego" created in 2016 by @GreetingsTour
This piece is located on the side of North Park's Belching Beaver Brewery and beside the Liberty Tax. If you add a self timer to your camera you can get a straight on shot like this by placing it at the light post. Be aware of cars as they can go through this block.

Once I found my postcard art wall I scouted out others, taking random turns in the area.  The majority of the pieces that I found were in North Park either as advertising or just sprayed in the "alley ways" between buildings.  The majority of the murals were very easy to take photos of, some not so much, you could only see from a distance.  Also if you don't have friends with you or a tripod, good luck getting a photo in front of these things. If you've got the guts, ask a friendly looking person, I just happen to suffer in silence sometimes.

I was able to track the pieces exactly, and as you can see in the map below, the most art pieces that I encountered are along two roads in the North Park area: 30th Street, and University Avenue.  Keep on scrolling to see all of the walls that I passed by, along with their relative location.


Strap in, let's go.

2.

For the nature lovers, head to Camino De La Reina and Qualcomm Way.  Along the short parking lot wall you'll find the mural "River Life" which was a collaborative mural of the San Diego River Park Foundation.  You'll see a mixture of amphibians, insects, and mammals displayed here to bring awareness of the beauty of the San Diego environment.  This is a short in height wall with no clear signs to have a timer on your camera unless you angle it on the ground will you sit against the wall.
"River Life" - completed in 2009.

3.

For those looking for a more abstract wall, head to 30th Street and Adams Avenue.  This piece resides on the side of Maven.  I really liked this piece and it would be pretty grammable if it did not have the utility boxes in the way.  There is no spot to place a camera, and you'd have to go inbetween the boxes for at least a waist-up photo.


4.

For those who enjoy a bit of nostalgia, right across the street (from the above mentioned piece) is an advertisement wall but is kinda cool regardless.  The Antique Row Cafe has their wall piece gated off but you can still see the classic figures from the 50's, 60's, & 70's.  I do not recommend hopping the fence because the lawn looks like it is part of a residential house so just take it from a distance.


5.

Looking for an edgier/graffiti backdrop, head to the corner of Monroe Avenue and 30th Street.  While you're there do some laundry and grab a tattoo (ha ha).  There should be a utility box nearby to place a camera on for at least part of this shot.


6.

Got a thing for space aliens?  Say no more, Supercuts has got you.  Put in 3024 El Cajon Boulevard into your GPS and you'll be on your way.  This mural is a little tough to photograph because it's in a parking lot that's shared by Supercuts, and Carl's Jr, so watch out for the cars passing through.


7.

This next one is for the craft (beer) lovers.  San Diego is known for the crazy amount of craft breweries so this is a great spot if you live and breathe craft brews.  While this is more on the advertising scale I still think its a "cute" enough wall to put up on here.  The piece is located on the side of Eppig Brewing (3052 El Cajon Boulevard).  So grab a pint and snap a photo!  This is also in a parking so be aware of cars and sorry folks no place to put a camera on a timer.


8.

Now this next one is for the film/camera addicts.  It is blocked off but isn't something you'd be able to take a photo in front of anyways.  This is enclosed within the Media Arts Center which is at 2921 El Cajon Boulevvard just head around the block.  I just love the colors on the fence, on the building, it's pretty cute but you don't need to go out of your way for this.


9.

This piece is on the other side of a little shopping center and there's actually some design on the covered parking area as well.  I was able to set my camera down on low flat fence across the way but I was getting a little frustrated so my facial expression is just like okay lets just get this for reference and move along.  I did like how this piece was composed and once I figure out the artist I will put them here.  In the parking area the walls have some geometric shapes and if the area is clear I think you could get some cool shots of.  If you want to head to this mural just put in 4285 Utah Street, which will bring you to the Butcher Shop and it's around back in the "alley way".  Again be aware of cars.
Completed in 2016.


10.

This one has to be my favorite, because I am a pizza addict... I'm from Long Island do you expect anything less?  This is another advertising piece but I'm gonna let it slide.  If you play with the angles there's a little ledge to put your camera on and just ignore the people staring as you take a photo of a pizzeria wall in a tight space.  If this wall has a pizza your heart head to Sicilian Thing Pizza (4046 30th Street).  Sorry friends, I cannot you give you a review of the pizza as I did not have the pleasure of trying it.
Artist: KAHILI. Completed in 2017.


11.

This next wall is along the Animal House Pet Shop (2726 University Ave.).  To me it gives off a mixture of a mural and graffiti style.  Unfortunately friends, no place to put a camera.  Be aware of cars going in and out of the parking lot.

12.

Alright now this is the last wall that I was able to actually photograph myself with but in different way.  I realized that the building next to this mural had mirrored windows so tada! give yourself a MySpace-esque mirror photo!... in 2018... Be aware of cars and wave to the people who are probably making fun of you through the mirror windows.  To get here put in Swami's Cafe (2920 University Avenue).


13.

So this one's for the dino-kids.  It's pretty commercial looking but hey I'll include it.  This piece is called “WEENosaurus Rex” and was created by the artist known as MADSTEEZ.  These guys are hanging along a vacant building on Ray Street.  Soon it will become a Target and apparently they want to get rid of it.  To get here put North Park Sushi & Grill (3021 University Avenue) and it's right around there you can't miss it.  And you guessed it, be aware of cars.



Have I exhausted you yet?? Don't give up, we're halfway through!  Ultimately I tried to make a click through slideshow but I failed so please stay with me and hopefully in the future it will work for me.

14.

Right across the street you'll come to the peak millennial mural of our time, one that's dedicated to the power of the avocado.  Listen I'm not complaining because the artist did do a nice job but like here we are with an avocado mural.  Wanna see it?  Head to North Park Beer Company (3038 University Avenue) and it's on the Ohio Street side.  Viva La Avolution!


15.

 I'm ready to party! Are youuu ready to party?  Whelp if not then too bad this mural/graffiti has Spongebob and I'm about it.  The wall spans further than Spongebob but my panorama came out pretty bad so I'll leave the rest as a surprise I guess then, but this is not a Nickelodeon wall (you can find that in Bushwick, Brooklyn).  This piece can be found on the side of House of Hair (3074 University Avenue).


16.

Just in case you forget where you are, don't worry this mural has got you covered.  North Park!  You're in North Park!  You can find this along the side of United Furniture (3092 University Avenue) along Illinois Avenue.


17.

Alright here's another mural/graffiti wall along University Avenue.  Now this one I have a better panorama for.  The area is a bit tight and you have to be aware for cars (wow I'm really ready to retire that phrase and go to sleep) but it's got that pop of color to it.  Find this wall by heading to AKA (3120 University Avenue) and its on the side street.


18.

Into mythical characters?  Then head to Park Boulevard Deli (4504 Park Boulevard) and you'll find this on Monroe Avenue side.  Unfortunately you may have garbage bins in the way so try to center yourself between the tree and the butterfly fairy.
Completed in 2013.


19.

While it's blocked off I still wanted to include this piece.  You can find it on the side of 1455 University Avenue.


20.

This beauty of an elephant is located on the side of Crest Cafe (425 Robinson Avenue) diner in Hillcrest.  Fun fact, it was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives in 2013.  The piece is along the side and yes be aware of cars.


21.

It may be a logo but if you loveee owls head to James Coffee (2355 India Street).  Their logo is on the side and I would totally get the coffee while you are there.  It's not just a regular coffee place inside, there's little "shops" on the inside that sell lotions, candles, vinyl, and you can even get your hair done by the barber inside.


22.

Right across the street from Jame's Coffee is this lady peeking out.  This part of the city is pretty close to the airport so don't be surprised when you see some low flying planes coming into the airport.  Hence the plane in her reflection.

23.

The next two murals can be found in La Jolla.  They are part of a mural movement but I only happened to stumble upon these two.  To find this you can search for Fine & Coastal Real Estate (7752 Fay Ave # E, La Jolla).
Is All That It Proves by Marcos Ramirez ERRE in 2015 for the Murals of La Jolla project.


24.

Please I beg of you find a way to get your photo in front of this mural.  Probably the trippiest mural I've seen in awhile.  You can find this mural in the parking lot of the 1st Pacific Bank of California (7817 Ivanhoe Avenue, La Jolla).
One Pointed Attention by Kelsey Brookes completed in 2014 for the Murals of La Jolla project.

Finally.  We're here.  We made.  Thanks for pushing through.

25.

This last piece doesn't use any sort of spray paint or whatnot, it's alllll post-its.  That's right, post-its, almost 11,000 of them!  This piece is a photo of the late Michael Jackson and his chimp Bubbles.  You can find it in Modern Times Beer (3725 Greenwood Street).

Seen these and know of any others?  Comment them below!



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.